Tamil, the most used language on internet
‘Indian Internet Growth’ is escalating day by day. Its growth is 41% between 2011 and 2016 and at the end of 2016 the users of internet by Indian subscribers increased to 23 crores
It is expected that in 2021 those who access the internet through Indian languages will be 53 crores
There is a common notion that people like to buy anything only if it is in the form of English. But of late this has been proven wrong when one learns that regional languages are gaining more momentum day by day especially in the world of internet. There is a research article titled, Indian Languages: Defining India’s Internet, with a complete set of data that statistically analyzed the extent of internet information that has been referred through regional languages. Currently, in India, there are 23,40,0000 Indians accessing the internet through other Indian languages, whereas only 17,50,0000 accessing it in English. There is a sudden rising of internet usage through regional languages up to 41 percent between 2011 and 2016 and the reason would be interesting to be corroborated says Vikatan.com.
In the next four years, it is predicted to increase by 18 percent a year reaching up to 53,60,0000 users in regional language. Instead, users in English will grow three percent a year reaching up to 19,90,0000. In 2021, about 75% readers will be through Indian languages only. Further, in the next five years, out of 9 in ten new internet users will continue with Indian languages. In terms of contents, the current count that includes 17 crores in communication, 16.7 crores in web entertainment, 11.5 crores in social media, 106 crores in news is predicted to grow up to 39.6, 39.2, 30.1 and 28.4 crores respectively in 2021.
Rajan Anandan, Vice President, Google – India and South East Asia opined, “Life of English is over in terms of internet, in India. Twenty Crores English speaking Indian are already using the internet. But 90 percent of those who join new to it prefer to use it in their own respective regional languages only. The growth of the internet in India depends more or less on the users of regional language rather than the English language. Moreover, 99 percent of those who use the internet in Indian languages access it through their phones. Of the total internet usage, 78 percent is through phones and therefore in order to increase its usage quality smartphones in the range between 2000 and 3000 are needed.
How did it happen?
On further investigation, it is learned that the sudden rise in internet usage is due to the widespread use of free data access provided by Jio that has brought the Internet a step closer to people. Further, because of free data access by Jio other service providers also followed suit by slashing down the price. This paved way for more internet usage all strata of Indian society. Don’t be surprised by that. Other factors such as bringing down the price of smartphones, improved internet services in rural areas and facility to translate the contents into Indian languages contribute to it hinting that there is a huge market for it.
Tamil, the most used language on internet
In India internet is used mostly in languages such as Tamil, Hindi, Kannada, Bengali, Marathi, Telugu, Gujarati and Malayalam. Among the Indian languages used in India, Tamil is the most accessed language on internet. About 42 percent internet content translation happens in Tamil, followed by 39 percent in Hindi. In terms of language growth Tamil and Kannada stand first having 74 percent, followed by 54 percent in Hindi. Therefore it could be stated that there is a huge internet market for Tamil and Kannada.
Advertisements and market potential
Among the users of the Indian language, only 12 percent respond to English based advertisements. The remaining 88 percent respond only to other Indian languages. As there is a significant increase in using Indian languages on internet scope for trade and entertainment will also increase through it. Internet business will increase to 17.5 crores and internet news by 18 crores. Besides, through accessing government based internet services additional 13.1 crore people will join the wagon of internet users in Indian languages. Online entertainment usage will increase to 39.2 crores and eventually it will impact positively on using social websites. It will be amazing to realize that in 2021 about 70 crores of Indian population will be seriously engaged in one or other form of internet program.